Lines popping up in an animation followed by the computer freezing is
indicative of a failing video card.  What you're seeing is called "artifacting"
and it's caused by either a failing GPU chip, or failing memory on the card.
It can also be caused by using the wrong ROM to flash the card, causing the
memory to want to run at the 2.2ns speed instead of the 2.8ns speed that's more
common.  Some cards in the PeeCee world also ran at 3.2ns and are incompatible
with any Mac ROM.  Look up the RAM chips that are on your card to verify the
speed memory you have and ensure the ROM you used is compatible with said chips.

If all else fails and you've done everything right, the card is likely on it's
way out.  The 9800 Pro's built by PowerColor and Sapphire as "OEM" cards are
well known to die without warning and prematurely whether they're modified or
not.  It's an unfortunate fact of life!  I've got a drawer of several that have
died, whether they're flashed for the Mac or running bone stock in a PC.  When
the 9800 Pro was king, I ran one in my PeeCee desktop, and I remember filing
warranty claims with ATI 4 times when I ran it.  On the 5th failure of my own
card, I junked ATI and never used them again!

Regarding your transparent bar:  The sawtooth that won't display the
transparent bar IS running Leopard right?  Tiger and before didn't have the
transparent bar.  If you're running Leo and still have a solid bar, type the
following into the terminal, hit the return key, then log out and log back in
again:

sudo defaults delete /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.WindowServer
'EnvironmentVariables'

Hopefully that helps.