On Jul 9, 2010, at 7:55 AM, t...@io.com wrote:

> Anyway, that's all a long way of saying: where do I find the system
> log?  Would it make sense to check it in a terminal window?  I'm a
> reasonable Unix user (nothing resembling a Unix administrator
> though).   Does the Unix on OSX have vi?
>
> How far back does the log go?  Should I bring up the log and then
> induce the error or can I check back a week to see the old error?

Yes to all of the above, but the easiest way to view the logs on a Mac are with
the Console app, in the Utilities folder.

By default it shows the console messages (in the unix meaning of the term
'console') If you click the "Show Log List" icon you can navigate to all the
logs on the system.

You can click 'clear display' then do whatever's failing to get just what goes
on when that happens, or you can search, copy/paste, etc. Very useful.

You can do it in Terminal as well, the system log and console log are
/var/log/system.log and /var/log/messages respectively, just as you would
expect.

OS X IS a full fledged Unix, yes vi is there. You need to install the Developer
Tools (available for free at developer.apple.com) to get gcc, header files, etc
to compile programs.

It's NOT a Linux, but a BSD flavor.

--