On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:42 PM, john CARMONNE <carmo...@aol.com> wrote:
> What determines the position of the partitions on the faster portion of the
> HDD?

Drives store data on the outer tracks of the platter first, moving in
towards the center as you store to higher numbered blocks/sectors.

Referring to the graphic used in the partition section of Disk
Utility, partitions closer to the top of the screen are on outer
tracks. Moving down towards the bottom of the screen implies placement
further "down" the disk and on the more inner tracks of the
platter(s).

At least that's how I've always understood how it works.

The difference in the sequential access rates arises because the
tracks on the outer edge of the platter have a higher tangential
velocity than those nearer the center. (Simple playground
merry-go-round physics)

It can be argued that one will never see enough of a performance gain
to be worth the hassle of dividing a drive into two partitions and
constantly worrying about how to juggle your data between them. But
since I'm one of those folks who likes to fiddle with their computer
just for fiddling's sake, it's something I might try just for the sake
of trying it.

-irrational john