See, this is the thing, a processor will run UNDER-CLOCKED better than
it will OVER-CLOCKED.  If I have a bootable system with a g4-450 mhz.
Putting a 500 mhz processor in there without changing the jumper
settings will only tell the 500 mhz processor to run at 450.  Much
like it tells the 400 processor that is in there to run at 450.

For grins, I put a known bad 300 mhz g3 processor in there with no
jumper settings change and it booted to the blue screen before it
dumped.  I did get the chime and video.  So I really suspect this chip
is bad even though the guy "swears" it came from a running system.

Well, I bought a keyboard and mouse (apple brand) 10 days ago on
ebay.  I have sent the guy mail telling him his usb keyboard and mouse
hasn't gotten here yet.  Hopefully it is in the mail and will get here
in the next day or so and I can see if the chip will reset pram and
enter into open firmware.

I will feel a lot better about it if it can do that.

I looked on apples site to see if there were any firmware patches for
the Yikes G4.  I saw none for a G4 PCI computer.  They were all for
sawtooth and the such.

There weren't any firmware hinderances in there to stop a 500 mhz chip
from running in the yikes that I know about.  Looking at all the
upgrade sites I don't see any Yikes patches to allow a faster
processor to be put in.  They all seem to be plug and play.

So I dunno what I am going to tell this guy.  Wait for the keyboard
and get more information I suppose.