On Jul 27, 2010, at 11:39 AM, Dan wrote:

> At 2:19 PM -0400 7/27/2010, <graphics...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>> I currently run a G4 MDD with Leopard. I have a USB 2 card. I want to add an
>> external hard drive large enough to do video work. Basically work on
>> transferring home videos to DVD. Any suggestions as to what I should look
>> for?
>
> meritline.com, geeks.com, ecost.com, macsales.com, etc... all have great
> deals on drives.  New, used (pulls), refirbs, etc.  Even eBay is good for
> drives.
>
> I like to avoid Western Digital mechanisms.  Definitely avoid WD externals --
> many of their models have firmware issues with Macs, and they've been less
> than forthcoming about fixing 'em.  You can read the diatribes about such on
> the CarbonCopyCloner support forums (bombich.com).
>
> While USB-only boxes are less expensive than ones with Firewire, but keep in
> mind that Firewire 1 (FW400) will give you better throughput than USB 2.  IMO
> that makes them worth the premium, especially for video work.  My fav box is
> a La Cie d2 Quadra.  It uses a SATA drive internally and the interfaces are
> USB2, FW400, FW800, and eSATA.
>
> Of course, since you're doing video work, you want a drive that's at least
> 7200rpm.  There are 10,000 and faster drives available, but I don't think it
> makes much sense to have a drive that's faster than the interface (the
> weakest part of the data pipe).

I personally would buy a Hitachi 2 TB 7200 rpm drive from Newegg and an
enclosure from OWC. The best deal is what I have in my G4 MDD is a SeriTtek 2
port SATA card and an external port for eSATA, but FW will work too it's just
that a lot of video files are large and the eSATA is the fastest IMHO

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda USA
Sent from my MBP