On Aug 21, 2010, at 9:33 PM, Sarge3041969 wrote:

Hey all, I have read through some of the older threads for info, but
could not find anything quite like this so here goes:
I have a G4 digital audio 466mhz system that I would like to do some
upgrades to, but nothing extreme. I want to start out by speeding it
up a little, so I bought a used processor out of a 733mhz Quicksilver
system. A friend of mine
told me it "Could be made to work" so, I bought it. Now, I didn't get
the heatsink and fan with it. So can the old 466 cooler be modded with
a fan to work? Or, will I have to keep looking for the QS 733 goods.
At present there aren't any on e-bay. I can still run the Mac as it is
and wait if I have to, and I have not test fitted or altered anything
yet. I
am putting this machine together on the cheap just to have something
to mess with, but at the same time I don't
want to damage anything by overheating it out of stupidity either. LOL
I am going to be doing some other upgrades
later, but wanted to get a faster processor first. Thanks!

The simplest way to increase speed is to max out memory followed by replacing the, (if by chance the original Apple), hard drive drive.

You would be surprised on just how much improvement can be had.

Modifying a faster processor from a later machine can open a can of worms.

Rather than do that, I would just look for a later model of machine IF that is what you really want.

Just my 2ยข worth...

JT