________________________________
From: John Martz <zjo...@yahoo.com>
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 26 August, 2010 6:33:08
Subject: G4 with no chime but instead folder with ?

On Aug 25, 2010, at 8:33 PM, Robert Long <texasche...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello group,  I got a G4 and tonight I plugged it in to see if it will work.
>  No chime but a screen with a folder and a ? then a happy face.  Not the mac
> face. Any ideas.  I am not too hep on this stuff.  If it doesn't have a
> fatal problem or such I would like to get it  up and running.

Hopefully someone who actually knows something about G4s will respond.

Are you sure that (1) there is a hard drive in your system and (2)
that the drive contains a bootable install of OS X? The folder with a
? I would guess might be an icon to indicate "no file system" ...
perhaps?

-irrational john

Irrational John is perfectly rational - and correct.  That is indeed what this
means. The chime tells you its initial hardware test has deemed all to be OK,
and the folder with the ? means it can't find a file system from which to boot.

The chime by the way, doesn't mean it's checked for the presence of a hard disk.

Ted