On Sep 29, 6:43 am, a1 <arichic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am about to inherit a G4 Digital Audio DP467mhz that seems entirely
> stock as purchased with the only upgrade being memory at 512. It is
> coming with the Apple Studio Display of the same vintage. I've only
> owned iMacs and my current one is G4 800mhz. Some questions:
>
> 1. My iMac is running only Jaguar since it has only 256mhz ram. Can
> take out the 256 p133 memory chip from the DP and put it in the user
> slot of the iMac with no trouble?
> 2. DP has Panther. Can I somehow carbon clone that Panther onto the
> iMac without reformatting and losing all 80 gigs of data?
> 3. I know I should upgrade both machines to Tiger. Every install disk
> I've tried failed. How can you find a nonspecific version of Tiger
> that will go on a G4 iMac?
> 4. How do I tell if  the DP has Airport capability? If it does not, is
> there some way I could network it to the iMac which does use Airport
> to get online? If this is through ethernet, what exact connecting cord
> do I need?
> 5. As is, is the G4 Digital Audio DP467mhz going to be slower than my
> iMac? Which would be better to make the main computer and upgrade? I
> really like the iMac screen. Is the Studio Display considered a better
> monitor?
> 6. How much would it cost to upgrade the processor in the DP, as far
> as it could go? Is that a motherboard swap or a daughter card?
> 7. Physically, how easy is it to install extra hard drives inside the
> DP? I'm intrigued by the prospect of using multiple OS but it has to
> be pretty easy to do.
>
> Looking for any and all responses.
I personally would look to ebay for a faster G4 (If that's what you're
really interested in). For the price you'd pay to upgrade that DA you
could acquire a lot better hardware for a fraction of the cost and be
more satisfied with your purchases. You should make a budget of what
you can actually pay and what you are willing to pay at the most.

Most sellers are either asking way too much or there's something
squirly about the deals out there. ASK questions and if you don't get
satisfactory answers don't buy. There are some fabulous deals to be
had though.
Consider your upgrade path and what you'd like to do with these older
machines now and in the near future.
BTW, unless that was an upgraded CPU, there was no Dual CPU *467,
there was a Dual 667. - I'd keep that and be happy.
Get some more memory for the DA and leave the chip in the iMac. It's
always, Always more than helpful to have a second and/or third
computer at you ready.

-Mike