I have Tiger on my internal drive and Leopard on a Verbatim external firewire
drive. I have been feeling my way through Leopard for the past month or so and
now have gotten into trouble. I have suffered a series of events which may or
may not be related but in total they have exhausted my repair capabilities. I
ask the group for further suggestions.

Yesterday, Time Machine reported failure to back up my system (to a third
external drive) because it thought the disk had been removed. It had not, and
was clearly visible both on the desktop. I restarted Time Machine and thought I
was done.

Today, on startup, my EMac took a bit longer to arise, flashed a folder in the
center of the screen, and promptly awoke in Tiger. The Leopard disk was at that
time visible on the desktop and showed no difficulty when I browsed it.

Thinking the Mac just the correct startup info, I went to preferences and
directed the next startup to be the disk with Leopard. Unfortunately, after
restart it awoke in Tiger again.

This time thinking there was a problem with the Leopard drive, I ran disk
repair and it reported that it had repaired the disk. I then selected the
Leopard hard drive as the startup and restarted.

Since then not only does the Mac wake up in Tiger, but the the Verbatim disk is
not even visible on the desktop. Restarts, drive utility, plugging and
unplugging cables, I can't seem to coax it to the desktop. If this were OS9, I
would take SCSI Probe and force the drive to mount but I don't know a similar
trick in OSX,

Additional suggestions are welcomed. I have difficulty believing that drive
utility could render the Verbatim invisible.

Your suggestions are welcomed.

Don Wakefield