Ok... Changed battery. Problem still there. Any more suggestions?

On Oct 13, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Gottick International wrote:

Folks I have this strange problem trying to start a iMac G5. The story
runs like this.

1/ I start the machine and get the "blinking question mark".

2/ I start the machine using an install DVD and Disk Utility can't
even see the machine's HD.

3/ I start the machine again using an install DVD and now Disk Utility
can see the machine's HD. Selecting the machine's HD using startup
disk I can now start the machine. It works perfectly.

4/ When I shut down the machine and try to start again it I'm
back at #1, above.

• The computer runs a newly installed OS X.5 and the HD has just been
formated.
• The HD - when visible - registers as all fine using Disk Utility and
Disk Warrior.
• All sleep and energy saving contraptions has been disabled.

Any suggestions?

Check the PRAM battery. It sounds as if it either has died, or is much lower than the nominal 3 volts. If the battery is OK, then start up and do a PRAM reset until it chimes at least 3 times. (Push power button, then immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R until you hear the chimes.) If the battery is bad, replace it and then do the PRAM reset.

Not meaning to be rude, but how do I check the battery? Better just replace it, yes? After all the machine has been running for ages.

Let's assume you've got a first or second-gen iMac G5. To check the battery, put your iMac G5 face down on a towel on a table. Use a Phillips screwdriver to loosen the three captive screws in the base of the LCD. Don't try to remove them, just turn them counterclockwise until they stop. Then lift up on the "foot" of the stand and remove the back cover. The clock battery is hiding underneath the modem or Airport card to the left of center. It's a flat silver CR2032 battery about the size of a nickel. Use a nylon stick or other non-conductive object to push the battery away from the spring. You may have to carefully pry the spring up a tad to get the battery started out of the holder. Then use a multimeter to measure the battery's voltage.

If you've got an iMac G5 with iSight (camera lens at top center of bezel), then it's an entirely different ball game to get to the battery.

In either case, go here for a step by step guide: <http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iMac_G5 >

Or, you can get your iMac to boot to the desktop, then manually set the date and time. Make sure you're not connected to the Internet and that you disable the automatic timekeeping feature if it's turned on. Then shut down your iMac and unplug it from the electrical outlet. Leave it that way for a while (15-30 minutes). Then plug it in and get it to boot to the desktop. If your date/time stamp is still correct, the battery is still good. If it's not, then the battery no longer has enough juice to keep the date/time and other startup parameters in memory.

HTH,

Jim

--
You received this message because you are a member of G-Group, a group for those using G3, G4, and G5 desktop Macs - with a particular focus on Power Macs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml

______
Anders Fager
Gottick International
www.gottick.com