On Oct 21, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:

> I have an Imation superdisk drive that I picked up at the local goodwill. it
> looks to be in good shape with the power adapter.... question is, is it any
> good for anything? does it work with tiger via classic mode? and where in the
> world would I find disks for the thing? I only gave a buck for it. Jeff

It'll read/write regular 3.5" floppy disks natively in OS X; it's a USB storage
device, so it doesn't need any drivers. I just took mine off the desk and put
it in the storage closet here at work after realizing it had been about two
years since I needed to read a floppy disk.

The LS-120 120Mb disks they use are out there, here's one place selling 'new'
ones for $20 each:

<http://tinyurl.com/2eeyp8p> (I'm sure they're new old stock because I doubt
anyone is making these things anymore.)

I found them as cheap as $3 used, but a used floppy disk? Probably not worth it.

Considering that Sandisk 2GB SD cards are on sale at Walgreens this week for
$16 for two (my car stereo has an SD slot so I've been looking for 'em),
spending that kind of money to store 120 Mb is crazy, but $1 for a USB floppy
disk drive is a good deal, and the power brick itself is worth that much, it's
pretty heavy duty 1.5 amp one.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona