I'd like to thank John Carmone for sending me the Rom updater for the
G4. It solved the problem.

I had a G4 which was one of the "to the Dump" G4's I got from work.

I wiped the hard drive and installed OS 9 and upgraded it to 9.2.2.
Then I installed 10.3 and upgraded it to 10.4.11. After that I got the
kernel panic and the G4 wouldn't boot up.

I was able to get it to boot by holding down the shift key and it went
into 10.4. I rebooted it into OS 9 and copied the rom updater to the
hard drive. It says you're supposed to shut the computer down and then
power it up holding down the programmer key which is next to the
reboot key below the power button and as it comes on you wait to here
a tone. Once this happens the computer will automatically launch the
rom updater and perform the update.

This happened exactly as advertised and the rom was updated.

I have a hardware test CD that came with my digital audio G4 and tried
to run it on this computer but it wouldn't go. Oh well.

This computer now runs and seems to behave itself.

I was able to give this computer and some odds and ends for my niece's
birthday.

Thankyou John.

Mark Murphy