On 11/8/10 2:52 PM, Wallace Adrian D'Alessio wrote:
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 1:26 AM, Ashgrove<salum...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Nov 3, 7:41 pm, Yersinia<yersi...@myfairpoint.net>  wrote:
Geeesh, is this what Windoze users have to do all the time?!?!?
Yes, siree, Bob. That's life on the other side.

I did the same thing out of curiosity, and downloaded Clamxav Beta 2
to my Intel iMac. It took 20 minutes to diagnose that there were zero
infections found. Meh.

On one of these lists, probably this one, was it not determined less than 2
months ago the no one had seen a Mac virus ? Nor felt a any palpable threat
by one.

I had reported that an Mac IT guy here in our mass media department who
administers a staff of techies and hundreds of Macs dismissed any such
threat.

It's true, Bruce and Dan have both repeatedly said that Macs on OS X do not need AV, and seeing how I wasn't having problems with my Macs which I thought might be on account of viruses, I wasn't running any AV programs at all and was perfectly comfortable. Prior to this past week, the last time I ran any kind of AV was circa 1999, using Disinfectant. It was solely for reasons of curiosity from the recent discussions here that I decided to pick up ClamXav Beta 2 and the Sophos AV program and give 'em a try to see what would happen, just for the hell of it. And, as it happened:

ClamXav was taking so long I decided to just quit it and I tried the Sophos program. Sophos was fast, took less than an hour I think (I didn't time it but subjectively it didn't feel like it was taking "forever," and it finished its scan on its own), Well, what a surprise (NOT!) -- according to Sophos, my Quicksilver is not infected with any viruses. So I'll run Sophos on my Mini and iBook soon -- another "just for the hell of it" thing. I don't really believe that the Mini and iBook actually have any viruses, though.

~Yersinia.