--- On Tue, 11/16/10, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

From: Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
Subject: Re: DVD, Webcam, Pix, and Images: why are they soooo different
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 8:18 AM
On Nov 15, 2010, at 6:21 PM, Jonas Lopez wrote:
> DVD, Webcam, Pix, and Images: why are they soooo different
>
> I continue to delve into the various differences on my several Mac
> presentations.
>
> When viewing a DVD, even in FULL SCREEN presentation, the picture is perfect,
> not a pause or flicker to be found. When I view a "canned video" downloaded
> from the internet and presented in Quicktime, Real, or Windows Media, we have
> pauses and disruptions even at small sizes.

DVD's are encoded via MPEG2, which is an asymmetric codec: it's significantly
less computationally intensive to decode versus encode. (this is how it was
developed to be, to allow cheap DVD players. Also why it takes iDVD all night
to encode a hour's video to DVD on a G4 with a 1Gig CPU and a gig of ram.)

The other files you are viewing are encoded differently, and require more
computational effort to decode.
Bruce Johnson

Then could the company operating the server that I am downloading from have
ALREADY converted the video to MPEG2 then allow me to download it and it would
play just as a DVD, in fact could it then play ON THE DVD PLAYER not USING
Quicktime or whatever??

What is the size difference, a 1 Mb video converted to MPEG2 becomes how big?