After hearing from several thoughtful members of this group, I have
settled on some simple strategies for making my family of five safe
from themselves and each other as far as communally operating one home
computer system. A review of the reports and thanks are in order.

First to respond was Bruce, who seems to read everything on this list
and has an answer for everything. He recommended that guest accounts
would go far in protecting operations, along with setting some
parental controls for the kids in particular. Among responders, this
was a popular suggestion.

While I had stated that I'd give the admin account to the mom of the
household, some folks suggested that I create another admin account
for myself, just in case I ever needed to step in and save the bacon
on the computer system. Felix went a step beyond and suggested that I
alone maintain the secret of the password, not even bother to share it
with the family, and effectively become the administrator of the
computer system myself. I suspect that this is the route to take for
right now; when someone in the household steps up and shows me that
they are capable of handling stuff, I can set them up with admin
powers. Jack reinforced this strategy with an off-list response,
quoting his experience with his mother's computer.

Geke suggested that I can remotely administer the computer via
TeamViewer, but it's really too much money for me to pay. Someone else
with very deep pockets, it might be fine.

Another off-list response came from Eric, who told me that he provides
helpful how-to documents when he gives computers to new users, and
sent me examples of those by attachment. I cannot guarantee my users
will read them, but it sounds like a very good way to proceed.

Tina recommended setting a firmware password. That sounds like it
would be overkill in my target situation, but it's a very strong
security precaution that might work well for me at my own workplace
computer.

And last, Dana contacted me off-line to tell me that he or she
condones giving computers away to underprivileged families, and makes
a routine out of this. Dana mentioned that a family member of him or
her came up through some hard times, and felt some sympathy for my
cause. Going beyond the box, Dana offered me some additional, free
software to make computer life better for my clan-in-law! I would like
to extend a special thank-you to Dana. :-D

On Thanksgiving Day, I would like to thank everybody who gave my query
their consideration and time. I hope that you give your families your
love and attention today as well.

--
Michael Emery
http://memery.home.texas.net/

There is no bad music, only bad performances.
--
Ornette Coleman