At 4:09 PM -0800 12/1/2010, Tom wrote:
My sister-in-law has a G4 eMac that came with a 40-gig drive

Great machine!  A wonderful workhorse!

I bought a 500-gig drive for her from OWC and intended to replace the
old one with the new. Then on searching for instructions to swap out
the drive online, I find numerous warnings

pfffft. No big deal. See other's replies. There are directions for doing the replacement in various places.

So, I called the local Apple store (in Albuquerque) to see if they'd
put the drive in for me, and was told that "we don't service older
Macs. And that one is even dangerous to open up."

Buttheads.

Well, thanks for nothing, Apple. Just how new does a Mac have to be
before an Apple technician will service it? Brand new, or nearly so?

My local Apple Store would do it. Saw 'em fix an eMac just a few weeks ago. I think it depends on the expertise of the techs working there.

If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself,,, there are bound to be other dealers or repair shops in your area that would be willing. Check around. Might even be someone on this list in your area that could help.

Or,,, you could punt. Just put the new drive in an external box and plug it into the eMac.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.