At 6:41 PM -0500 12/22/2010, John Callahan wrote:
Is it possible to copy the entire contents of my Hard drive to my external drive (300GB cap.) and automatically replace the files I have there, that would be duplicates but save the information that is new to my external hard drive? I have information saved on my external drive that is not stored on my computer hard drive that I would not want to lose, so erasing my external hard drive is not an option.

Yes.

Instead of the default "backup everything", tell CCC to do an Incremental Backup AND check all three boxes below that option. Those three options taken together mean that you'll end up with a clean clone that contains everything from the source plus you'll have an archive folder, called "_CCC", that will contain all the files it found on the destination that weren't on the source. Those files will be neatly placed in a folder tree that is the same as where they came from originally. Additionally, any other top level folders you had will be left alone.

This is the way you should do incremental backups normally. Then, once in a while, go into the _CCC folder and prune it down, as you see fit. Apple's Time Machine kindof does the same thing, btw, except that it provides a pretty browser and automatically destructively prunes without your say-so.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.