NOTE: This is a bit general, and I might yet find the answers I'm looking for in the archives. Feel free to ignore me if the topic has already been covered exhaustively there.

My recently departed (in trade) Gigabit Ethernet Power Mac G4 was essentially problem-free until the power supply died about a month ago. I don't want to repeat what followed. Trouble was, without my own computer and with only sporadic access to any others, there wasn't opportunity for the research I needed to do, let alone time to find this group and get some meaningful answers. No Mac friends or ongoing relationships with a repair shop, either. The story, briefly, and then I'll get on with the questions:

Came home, turned it on. Nothing. No lights, no sound, no action. Tested different power cords and outlets, nothing. Power supply. My roommate opined that it was probably a simple matter of getting any old (new) power supply and throwing it in, though he wasn't positive. He puts together his own PCs from kits, but he's not exactly a guru, and knows nothing about Apple computers. My preference was to have someone competent and qualified do whatever work was necessary. Power supply sounded a bit intimidating. Apple Store first. They confirmed the obvious, but couldn't help with the repair. They recommended an Apple authorized repair shop. Spoke with them. Seemed like they didn't want to be bothered - first suggestion was for me to find a similar machine and swap things around. Thought about it. No, I wanted them to fix it. Rebuilding the power supply is what they were going to do (their first resort as a matter of policy). But it would take a couple weeks for them to even get to it. OK. After a week they called me and said they had a similar machine they could swap my HDs and RAM into. I'd been without a computer for 2 weeks already, and with the holidays coming up it seemed possible that it might be another 2 or 3 or 4, maybe all of it just to get the answer "well, we can't fix it, so we're going to have to find a replacement" and wait some more. So I agreed. The Sawtooth I got back was in good shape and worked well, only problem being a new one with my very own HDs. I probably should have insisted on swapping more than just my HDs and RAM into it, but I wasn't thinking. Can't complain too much, because evidently I got a Zip Drive that might still work (at least with OS 9) and a DVD-RW instead of a CD-ROM in the bargain. But - all of this could have been avoided if I had known a power supply from a hole in the ground or had been able to find out quickly to begin with.

Questions:

1. How specific is the power supply to a certain Power Mac G4 or indeed to any Apple desktop computer made since?

2. Is finding a replacement a matter of very specific model numbers (I found a lot of replacements online quickly, ranging in price from $60 to $180, but had no idea how trustworthy any of them might be and remained iffy on whether the removal and reinstallation was work I should undertake myself) or looking for certain specs?

3. Before even considering replacement, is there something a dummy can do to look at and into the power supply and evaluate the situation, something as simple as "oh, it's the fuse" or "oh, that there cable has come loose"?

4. Is there such a thing as a normal or typical lifespan for a power supply?

I get the impression that replacing a power supply isn't that big a deal. Maybe something I could figure out myself if I had to. But knowing everything about what to look for in a replacement isn't something I can figure out myself. I'd like to forearm myself with some knowledge. This "new" Sawtooth is older than what I traded for it, after all, and the power supply might be as well.

Sean