At 8:52 AM -0800 1/4/2011, imrazor wrote:
Interesting. I thought the reason that VLC handles video playback on older Macs (this is true, right?) was that it offloaded a lot of video processing to the video card, whereas iTunes/Quicktime did not. Have I been misinformed?

VLC does NOT use the GPU for video decoding on the Mac. Since OS X 10.6.3 includes a new API for accessing the GPUs, support in VLC may be added in the future.

In general, VLC is so successful at what it does because it is extremely well written. Imagine how powerful QuickTime could be if it was as well done! ...Case in point, since you mentioned iTunes... It is pitiful that an app such as Audion can play streamed radio using less than 5% of a 200 MHz CPU but iTunes on the same computer uses over 20%!

I think there are some misconceptions as to what does what...

Video data is encoded / compressed in some way. The "player" must read that data, decompress it, decode it (turn it into usable frames), render the frames into video data, then display it on your screen - umpteen times per second. ...It is only those decompress and decode functions that are included in the "codec" module.

The question is which of those steps is performed where?

Normally, everything from "render" on is done on the video card, in its GPU.

The codec - the software module that does the decompression and decoding - can also benefit from doing things in the GPU. But to do so, it needs to know how that particular GPU works, and what special features it has available (eg: MPEG-2 and more recently MPEG-4 H.264 decoding). Apple tries to make this easy(ier) to do by providing things like the OpenGL and QuickTime frameworks and providing APIs into Quartz. Still up to the codec's author to take advantage of them tho.

But wait -- let's make it more complicated! LOL What if the video player supports filtering and such, as VLC does? Well, then you give the GPU the data to crunch, *then take it back*, apply those filters and such using the main CPU, then pass the data off to the GPU *again* for rendering and display. ew.

A good example of a codec author failure is, of course, Adobe's Flash. Instead of cleaning up their own code and taking advantage of the great tools that Apple provides, they spent millions on a b*tchfest about Apple refusing to give them direct access to the hardware.

Another example is the development of the "name brand" DivX codec. Why is it so abysmally slow and unstable, while Perian runs circles around it???? LOL