----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Enabling 48 bit LBA on a Sawtooth
Date:    Thursday, 06. January 2011
From:    Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> [...]
>
> If you formatted the new HD on a Mac that supports LBA48 addressing so
> that it currently is recognized and formatted correctly as larger than
> 128GB (Apple Partition Map, HFS+ journalling file system), and then
> you transferred it into the Sawtooth so that it's now only recognized
> as 128GB, then perhaps there's a chance you're still OK? This is a
> dangerous scenario, and you should stop using the HD immediately and
> apply the patch before you get any data corruption.

Full ack.

> If you formatted the new HD on the Sawtooth so that it was only
> formatted as a 128GB HD, and now you're trying to enable the rest of
> the space, this won't work, you'll need to patch FIRST and then
> reformat the HD again from the beginning.

True? I've been able to reformat a hard drive previously limited to 128 GB
(the only partition was the 128 GB partition, and with the patch applied the
free space at the end became visible).

But, if I remember correctly, I used the Leopard installation DVD and its
provided partitioning tool. Maybe the installation media's Disk Utility
behaves different?

> [...]
>
> This means that if you want the maximum mileage out of patching, you
> should probably make certain your PRAM battery is new/fresh, they
> generally last about 5 years. Then, DON'T zap the PRAM, reset the
> NVRAM, or press the CUDA unless you're ready to re-patch immediately.
>
> Once you've patched, you're good-to-go and everything is the same as
> any other Mac that supports LBA48 addressing.

I've made a very small (10 GB, or was it 5??? I have to check) first partiton
that has a standard installation of Tiger (or even Panther?) on it -- for the
sole purpose of applying this patch. The second partition is my main
partition. If, at any time, this unmaintained partition starts up, I
immediately know the PRAM didn't hold its data for some reason. I can then re-
apply the patch, select my second parition as the boot partition and
everything is safe. Should it happen over and over, then I know that my PRAM
battery is broken.

> There are alternatives to patching the firmware, using Intech's Hi-Cap
> (hi-capacity) OS X extension, perhaps combined with formating the HD
> with Intech Speedtools for OS 9 IF you're booting OS 9. The OS 9
> formatting only works when BOOTED in OS 9, so BOTH these are needed
> TOGETHER if your HD had both OS 9 & OS X and you dual boot both systems.

There is another possible way: recompile KeyLargoATA driver for Mac OS X to
enable LBA-48 support regardless wheather the Open Firmware property is there
or is not there.

This should be a very safe appoach, since every KeyLargo ATA chip is LBA-48
compatible/aware, so you cannot do anything wrong here.

But it is inconvenient, and it requires some programming/compiling skills.

> As a safety practice, it's best to place a partition break at the
> EXACT 128GB limitation of 131,072 MB. [...]

Yes, this is the normal way of doing it.

> Once you patch the firmware, as long as the patch is in place, the Mac
> will act normally like any other Mac that supports LBA48 addressing.
> The patch doesn't "do or undo" anything on the HD, it's in firmware,
> [...]

Actually, this Open Firmware property is only used by the KeyLargoATA driver
to check if it should enable the LBA-48 or not. But this is kind of senseless,
because the KeyLargo ATA chipset always supports LBA-48, and this property is
only there to make the QuickSilver 2002 model have an newly added support
feature...

> There was once a small application that patched the firmware for you,
> it was called "Overdrive" and was written by the same guys that wrote
> "Leopard Assist", but it disappeared from the web and I don't know
> where you could get a copy. Perhaps the Wayback Machine of the
> Internet Archive has a copy?

I always used a simple shell script available there:
http://4thcode.blogspot.com/2007/12/using-128-gib-or-larger-ata-hard-
drives.html

I also use the Open Firmware property stored in PRAM. But now I think the
better way would be to recompile the KeyLargoATA driver without this silly
fake limitation. Since there are no mature Mac OS X updates to worry about
anymore, this should be a one-time-only requirement.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250