Experiment report:

On a GigE I am setting up, VLC "played" videos with normal sound, but
with a black picture. The window adjusted to the video’s aspect ratio,
but remained black.
After some experimenting, I think I have localized the cause: VLC does
this with certain graphic cards. I don’t know the reason for this
behaviour, and I couldn’t find any clues on the web, so here are the
details of what I did:

The GigE has a 450MHz processor from a Cube and 1.1 GB RAM. VLC is
version 0.9.10 and the OS is 10.4.11.

With an ATY Rage 128 Pro card (AGP) inside and an Apple 15" display
connected to its ADC port, VLC played a .m4v video with a black
window.
QuickTime played the same video normally on the same screen.
I tried other display settings with no success: the same result for
resolution 640x480 and/or 256 colors -- except that with 256 colors,
the window is not black but blue.

With a different (better) AGP card inside, like a Radeon, VLC played
the same video normally.

Then I put an ATI R7000 64M DDR PCI card into the same GigE and
connected another monitor to its VGA port. VLC plays normally on that
one.

Then I put the ATY Rage 128 Pro card back in, while keeping the PCI
card. The monitors were set up as side-by-side displays. When, during
playback, I moved VLC’s video window to the other monitor, it changed
from black to playing or vice versa.