Thanks for the help, Dan!

It's 10.5.8 with all updates applied, and the misbehavior by Safari I
alluded to (i.e. whenever I tried version 5) was simply a failure to
launch-- blank window appears with the URL bar half filled, and there she
stops, requiring a Quit.

I always thought of Safari as an application, like Firefox, but it sounds
like it's interwoven into the OS like one of those inoperable cancers with
tentacles that reach throughout the organ.

In that case, drastic surgery may well be in order, as you suggest: killing
the patient (trashing all Safari-related items) and then trying to bring him
back to life with an OS update or reinstall (sorry, it's just that image of
a tumor . . .).

The older version, Safari 4, is actually behaving all right, launches and
runs fine, but not being able to rename it nor make any aliases for it just
seems like a warning that something is rotten in Denmark. I had hoped there
might be a quick and simple way to fix those things, if I only knew how, but
I guess it was a vain hope.

I appreciate the advice!

Tom