Hi. I have a Quicksilver 2002 G4 with an OWC 1.8 Ghz CPU upgrade. The
hard drive is a Seagate Barracude IDE 80 gig drive. It’s a few years
old, but has gotten only moderate use.

The computer is working perfectly, but I’m unable to back up the hard
drive contents by any of several different methods.

I’ve tried cloning the HD contents to my external FireWire drive,
using both Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper. In each case, the clone
operation starts but then stalls within a matter of minutes.

With CC Cloner, it states at the very beginning of the cloning
operation that “There may be a physical problem with the disk.” When I
check the option to continue, it runs for maybe 5-10 minutes, copying
maybe 2 gb or so, then freezes.

With Super Duper, it starts normally, runs 5-10 minutes, then states
that some particular file “can’t be read or written” and freezes.

With either program, I can’t opt to “stop” the cloning operation, you
can’t force-quit the program, and I’m forced into a hard restart using
the power button.

I tried running Disk Warrior, which detected very little out of the
ordinary, and Disk Utility, which found very little was amiss with the
disk permissions. Neither made any difference, and the cloning
attempts still failed.

I then tried something short of a full cloning operation, erasing the
partition of the external FW drive and then trying to spot-paste the
System folder onto it. This promptly choked as well.

The one operation that succeeded was that I was able to burn a half-
gig or so of files onto a DVD, using the internal burner, without
incident.

The hard drive isn’t making any untoward noises, and the computer is
operating perfectly normally. But having irreplaceable old Classic
apps, family photos and business data at risk makes me really, really
nervous.

Probably the best suggestion I’ve heard so far is to use my MacBook
Pro to copy this computer’s HD contents by putting the G4 in “target
disk mode” (though I’ll have to buy a FW 400 to FW 800 cable to try
it), on the theory that it will allow the MacBook Pro to “do the heavy
lifting.” As for me, I know nothing.

Could the problem be something other than the hard drive?

Thoughts? Theories? Suggestions?