On Jan 23, 2011, at 9:51 AM, iJohn wrote:

That's a hard one to guess at. But my guess would be no, I don't think
you'd see a gain. Or if there was one, it would not be as large as you
hoped.

What? Why are you "guessing"? These are measurable "facts". "Guessing" about things isn't acceptable. Either you know some factual information or factual reasoning about a topic, or you don't. In this case, YOU DON'T, so you shouldn't have posted.

I suppose it's possible that a 7200 RPM drive would still appear to perform faster
than an internal 4200 RPM, but I wouldn't count on it.

A 7,200 RPM HD is DEFINITELY faster in a FW400 enclosure than either a 5,400 RPM or 4,200 RPM. Have you ever even booted from Firewire on a daily basis? Have you made measurements? Have you streamed video off a Firewire enclosure? Obviously your experience is limited.

More to the point, I feel fairly confident that you would not really
be able to tell the difference between a (recent) SATA 5400 versus
7200 when connected via Firewire 400.

BASED UPON WHAT FACTS? In my experience MEASURING the difference in speed, the difference is LARGE and EASY to "tell the difference between".

In other words, if you're going
to go with a Firewire 400 external drive I'd suggest going with a 5400
drive and save a few bucks. With the recent improvements in platter
bit densities over the last year or two, the throughput of 5400 drives
has increased noticeably. The difference between 5400 and 7200 is not
as noticeable especially when you put that 400 Mbps cap on the drive
throughput.

It's the HD ITSELF that's the limiting factor here, NOT the Firewire connection. Any gain you make to the HD will transfer directly, arithmetically to the Mini's HD performance.