I should mention another difference between the Gig-E and the
Sawtooth: The color of the power button LED. The Gig-E's was white.
The Sawtooth's is yellow. In daylight it is clearly yellow. In poor
light or darkness it appears more green (because of the blue around
it). I wonder a) if this Sawtooth's power button LED was replaced at
some point with a part different from stock, maybe even something from
a non-Apple computer, b) if incorrect voltage would alter the LED
pulsation rate and if that would point to a PSU/wiring problem that
also caused the case fan to "complain" (low but constant "just not
right" noise) and could even be related to it (a wiring mixup during
some past repair?), c) whether the LED its;ef is just faulty somehow,
and c) if I might also complain that I don't like this "green" light.
White is the proper color of computer Sleep breathing, at least for
the Gig-E and its brothers.

I also wonder why Apple would not enable some control of the power
button LED's behavior through the GUI, at least to enable or disable
this pulsation during Sleep (some people can't stand it). It's not
like it's a dangerous thing to allow the user to easily control
(imagine an "Overclock CPU" pane in System Preferences). I ran across
an article stating that Apple had patented their particular "Sleep
breathing." Could that have anything to do with them (seemingly)
keeping it entirely out of the user's hands?

Maybe the only thing to do is replace the existing LED with a proven
white, slow-breathing one from a Gig-E. Not today. Probably easier to
just buy a whole Gig-E.

Sean