On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 4:46 AM, Bruce Ryan <bruce.r...@mac.com> wrote:
> ... why not get an old iPhone or iPod touch - built in timer and alarms,
>     music while you cook, easily portable and won’t take up any work-surface
>      space if you keep it in your apron pocket.

Hmmmmmmmmm, don't know if the estimates from www.everymac.com are spot
on or not. Just throwing them out there FWIW.

Apple iPod touch (Original) 8, 16, 32 GB Specs
Original Price:         US$299, US$399
Est. Current Retail:    US$100-US$200
(The original 8 GB iPod touch was offered for US$299, the 16 GB was
US$399, and the 32 GB introduced February 5, 2008 was US$499.)

Apple iPhone (Original/EDGE) 4, 8, 16 GB Specs
Original Price: US$499, US$599*
Est. Current Retail:    US$125-US$200
(*The 4 GB version originally was US$499 and the 8 GB version was
US$599. On September 5, 2007, a mere two months after it shipped,
Apple discontinued the 4 GB model and dropped the price of the 8 GB
version to US$399. On February 5, 2008, Apple introduced a 16 GB
configuration for US$499.)

No doubt the smaller device is much more portable. But it's also
slightly more expensive than freeware at least from my perspective.

@John Carmonne, Which of your Macs where you thinking of enhancing to
function as an "egg timer"? ;-) Just curious.

-irrational john