Hello,

What is your budget? What software do you plan to use? Which Mac will
you be using?

I've been using an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for several years with
absolutely no trouble. They sell for about $100.

http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile2496.html

However, it's A/D signal-to-noise is only about 100 db.

Here are the current system requirements:
////////////////////////
Minimum System Requirements (Mac)

G3* 500MHz with OS 9.2.2, 128MB RAM

G4* 500MHz with OS X 10.1.5, 10.2.6, 10.3.8, 10.4, 10.5.1 w/ 256MB
RAM**

OMS 2.3.8 for MIDI under OS 9.2.2

Currently there are two models of Apple’s G5 that are incompatible
with this product. Please click this link for more information:
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=b9f145c1c2ef3fd398ae0c17b1a4cb48

* G3/G4 accelerator cards not supported; OS 10.3 required for Dolby
Digital and DTS “pass-through” with Apple DVD Player
** Please check the minimum system requirements of your DAW software
as they may be higher.
*** Intel based Mac Pro & DualCore G5 with PCI-Express expansion slots
not supported.

For about twice the money they offer the Audiophile 192, with an A/D S/
N of about 113, but with more demanding system requirements:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile192.html

-- Dave Bjur
d...@bjurconsulting.com
(208) 305-1514