At 7:53 AM -0600 3/9/2011, Charles Lenington wrote:
I hope everyone with unsecured wireless networks takes todays report on NBC's Today show seriously. Luckily the FBI investigated enough that the owner of the open network didn't go to jail for pornography.

heh. While I feel for the home-owner, I don't have much mercy for people that leave their networks or computers wide open. This is the 21st century.

...Verizon usually likes to install their FiOS ONT boxes on the *outside* of the home. Makes it easier for their people to get into it if they need. That bugs me -- there's a cat5 connector right there, for a wardriver et al to just plug in! We had 'em put it in our basement.

Sure a password is inconvenient, but staying out of jail would be high on my list.

It took ... a hundred years to get people into the habit of locking their doors? And another 50 years to get into the habit of locking their cars?

It might help if the WAP manufacturers enabled WPA2 by default. Haven't seen that yet tho.