> Peter, in another post I asked if you would/could send me those ebay
> links? If it's not too much trouble that is:-) Jeff

I did, but I'll do it again.

1) the Broadcom-licensed 4318 Mini-PCI card itself (made in China under
license from Broadcom, and generally sold to Dell and many other laptop
manufacturers EXCEPT IBM) ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Broadcom-wireless-wifi-B-G-mini-PCI-card-BCM4318-/260726618089

2) the generic Mini-PCI-to-PCI adapter complete with R-SMC antenna
connector and cable and antenna ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-PCI-PCI-Converter-Adapter-Wireless-Card-Antenna-/270564968219

Often times, the cheapest solution is separate Mini-PCI card,
Mini-PCI-to-PCI adapter and antenna as three separate items.

I use the "Buy-It-Now" flag and also the "sort by lowest price including
shipping" flag for my searches.

Broadcom only licenses the design and it sells the actual manufacturer the
4318 chip, hence it is conceivable that there are visible differences.
(Each separate manufacturer will, therefore, have its own PCI vendor code
and its own block of MAC addresses, but these differences are of no
practical impact on the end-user).

The key to Airport Extreme compatibility appears to me to be the statement
that the 4318 card is intended for Dell and other laptops, but not for IBM
laptops.

There may be antenna connector differences in an IBM unit, or there could
be other differences.

Of all the many cards which I have purchased from different sellers, but
using the same description, none was not immediately recognized as Airport
Extreme-compatible, and I never had a DOA.

In fact, all such cards appeared to be brand-new, even if the description
stated that the cards were used.

All claimed to be tested, and all were shipped in sealed, static-free bags.

Note: there are apparently no "low profile" adapter cards, even though the
combination of the Mini-PCI card and the Mini-PCI-to-PCI adapter card is
no taller than a "low profile" PCI card.

Note also that a "standard profile" bracket has a lot of room on the upper
portion of the bracket where one might choose to mount an iSATA-to-eSATA
adapter cable, or another type of adapter cable, thereby saving one card
position.