My apologies for being stupid(er than usual). I see that Mail indeed offers "message viewing control" under Preferences>Fonts & Colors (set it so long ago I forgot where it was), and I am undoubtedly quite mistaken - memory fails me - that Outlook Express offered anything more under OS 9. Still:

A bit odd that Mail doesn't directly offer the option to view all messages as plain text. As far as I can tell.

If Mail (or any installed email client) can disregard and override font and type size HTML tags, theoretically it must be possible for it to be instructed to recognize some HTML tags and not recognize others. Evidently there's no market for such customization options, as I'd guess most people are as ambivalent as I about overdone HTML in email and that creators of email applications have no interest in something that defeats the trend toward snazzier-looking and more personalized (or more marketing-friendly) email.

Sean