I've been looking for a USB modem that will work with the most recent
versions Mac OS X. I have a friend who currently uses the dial-up V.92
modem in her 800 MHz eMac for Internet access. I'm trying to plan
ahead if some day she moves to a Mac platform without a modem.

One suggestion was to not use a USB modem but instead go with one of
the earlier Airport base stations which included a modem.  So I
checked out what was available on eBay. Apparently it's common to sell
the Snow White Airport aka Dual Ethernet M8440 by itself and NOT
include the power supply unit.

>From pics I've seen, I think that the M8440 uses an external PSU which
supplies 12V DC and at least 0.7 A using a center positive connector.
Can anyone confirm any of that?

I have no idea what the size of the connector may be. Heck, I don't
even know how to TALK about the connector size for these adapters.

(I usually just use trial and error to try to close in on the right size plug.)

-irrational john