On Apr 24, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Dan Ziegler wrote:

> But I was wondering why the old drive "failed". It wouldn't even start
> up off the OS X DVD to do a disk check! I took the original "failed"
> hard drive and stuck it in my Linux box, and ran Disk Utility (the
> Gnome app, it's similar to Apple's). Disk checking on "Macintosh HD"
> turned up clean, but the S.M.A.R.T. Status field said, "Drive has a
> few bad sectors." On scanning THAT, it told me the drive is about to
> fail. But I can use all of the files on Linux fine, such as the System
> folder, Users and such. I don't know if the S.M.A.R.T field will cause
> OS X to crash or what.

When SMART tells you it's failing, it's failing. That drive is on the way out.

I've had such drives work OK for a bit after formatting and re-installing, but
SMART does not say 'failing' because some sectors go bad; the failing sectors
are a symptom of the impending disk failure, not a cause.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona