On 2011/04/26 10:50, Bruce Johnson so eloquently wrote:
On Apr 26, 2011, at 9:36 AM, iJohn wrote:

>  The only thing worse than not securing your network is the poor folks
>  who THINK they've secured it but are using WEP. To my understanding
>  WEP is getting to be so laughably easy to hack that I would expect it
>  to be the next easiest way to steal Wi-Fi.
Actually, no. Any kind of lock is good enough to make the perp aim his pringles
can a floor lower. Why bother?

I would agree with that in general, but if all the networks within range of said moocher/perp are secured and they are determined to get online via someone else's connection they will choose the weakest link.

FWIW all the networks within range of my MP are password protected, it's rare that I see a private unsecured network in these parts. With a 1.5 MBs DSL connection costing only $20 I think few people would rely on 'borrowed' bandwidth on a regular basis unless they had something to hide or destitute.

Tina

--

iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForceFX5200 Ultra 64MB VRAM 10.4.11

PB G4 15" HR-DLSD 1.67GHz G4 2GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB VRAM 10.4.11

Mac Pro Mid-2010 2.8 GHz QC 6 GB RAM Radeon HD 5770 1GB VRAM 10.6.7