Thanks for all the insight... now I'll have to check and see what
GeForce it has!! ;-) This screen has plastic on the top as far as I
can tell, the shame is all the pixels are nice and bright, only the
top layer is scratched. Might just have to keep an eye out for dead
iMacs with good screens.

As for the hard disk, out of curiosity, does anyone know if OS X
refuse to boot on SMART errors? My PCs never hesitate... maybe OS X
takes the "safe route" and kernel panics.

Ralph, this hard disk was pretty easy to get to: I just removed the
motherboard, and the disks were right there in a caddy. See xlr8 your
mac's page here:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html
- it's helpful.

Dan Ziegler