On May 11, 11:23 am, peterh...@cruzio.com wrote:
> > If I do anything with this SCSI idea I'll need an Airport card or
> > combo Airport/Bluetooth card from which to reverse engineer the
> > connections.   Anyone have a dead one they'd like to dispose of?
> > Failing that, is there an inexpensive source of these cards or have
> > they become expensive?
>
> If I REALLY wanted SCSI on my Mini, I would adapt the top slot of the
> riser (the one for the optical drive) first to standard IDE, and second to
> SCSI using a "SCSIDE" card, available from ACARD.

The Acard product converts a SCSI host to an IDE device.  I would need
the opposite conversion.   But any such adapter, such as Ratoc
Firewire/SCSI converter, isn't going to do the trick, because my Tape
device is an Autoloader with two SCSI IDs and converters only support
a single SCSI ID.   I need an actual SCSI host.

I could pull the guts off of an Acard 6712 and put it on a custom
card, if I knew the pinout of the Airport slot, and if all the PCI
signals are present.

> > 4)  Everything I've read says the maximum RAM is 1 GB.   Anyone ever
> > successfully install more RAM?
>
> DDR RAM sticks are restricted to 1 GB per stick.

There are 2GB DDR sticks, but they are registered, ECC sticks, not
unregistered non-ECC as is needed in this case.

I've done a little digging since my original post, and a 184 DDR DIMM
built from Sixteen Micron MT46V256M4-5B chips should do the trick.
According to the Developer Note, they support DDR chips with four
banks.   They don't mention any with 64M addresses, but they probably
weren't available at the time and there are thirteen address pins
available.  So, unless Apple only supported 13 X 11 or something silly
like that, a 64M X 4bit X 4bank part should work.

Jeff Walther