On May 11, 2011, at 6:22 AM, ag wrote:

Disconnecting all USBs and pulling power cable for ten minutes improved matters
but now I have to power up 3-4 times or just leave it to another day.

I don't understand? You mean you have to reboot 3 or 4 times and on the 3rd or 4th time the display finally works correctly?

Have you done a Safe Boot (hold the Shift key at startup)?

I use a DVI/VGA connector, and linking my G4 powerbook to the monitor fires it
up each time so the monitor is fine.

I'm assuming you're using a DVI/DVI cable from the G5 to the display? The "DVI/VGA connector" is an "adapter" you're using with a DVI/DVI cable so you can attach to the G4 PowerBook? If the cable that works with the G4 is the same cable that you're using with the G5 then the cable is likely good even if you're using an adapter. If it's a different cable, you need to try the G5 with a different cable, it could be a bad cable.

Intermittent video is often a bad video card, and overheating is always a worry with an air-cooled card like the 9600 Pro. When you inspected the card did you look for popped caps? Is the G5 fan unit working normally? Have you tried both DVI ports on the 9600 Pro?