Hi Matevž

Here is the link to the Xserve G5 developer note:
http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Servers/XserveG5/XserveG5.pdf

I still do not know whether it is possible to install second-cpu, perhaps
others can tell you more? Do you have a secondary cpu slot?
Anyway, in the note it states: "Warning: DON’T TRY TO USE OLDER PROCESSOR
CARDS! This connector differs from those in earlier
computers and it is not pin-compatible."

As for the memory upgrade, the maximum for this computer is 8GB (184- pin,
unbuffered, ECC DDR400 SDRAM DIMMs, unbuffered,
8-byte, with parity, PC3200 compliant).

Thanks for all of this. I'm not currently easily able to look at the motherboard - the beastie is in a cage I built on the side of my desk to make it look neat and duct the noise away from me. However, I recall a that in the gap where a second process could go, there was a white cap which looked like the cover of a processor connection.

Maybe I can investigate next week... watch this space.

thanks

Bruce