On May 30, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:

in the side bar of the finder window appears my "media" mac under the "shared" portion of that side bar... question is, how to change the icon for that media mac? can this be done? how?

Have you tried right-clicking (Ctl-click) on the icon in the shared side bar and when the contextual window opens select "Get Info" and then highlight the icon in the corner of the Get Info Window and paste in any other icon you prefer? I don't know this works for certain, but I think it should work?