Thanks, that helps a lot. I actually compute most of the time with a
big box fan on full next to me, so I don't think the sound will be
that much of an issue. :) On a side note, the admin's office at my
college is also the server room, and he's in there quite a bit of the
time. His hobby? Building and rebuilding speakers!

Right now, I'm in the midst of a project for my college newspaper—
we're wanting to expand our storage and give ourselves more local
control over it, since the lone Mac admin works on another campus and
is overworked as it is. I figured I would buy an Xserve for myself,
bring it to campus to test it, and the newspaper staff and IT and I
would discuss our options from there. Then I'd use my Xserve for VPN
and backups and whatnot.

And yes, it's probably going to go somewhere out of sight and out of
earshot, to be remotely managed by my iPad. The G5 sounds best.

So, is that 3 one terabyte drives, or three drives to achieve one
terabyte?