strange, it used to be only the softies that relied on file name
extensions to determine file type.  Apple people had the resource fork
and Unix people had /etc/magic .

Anyway, you can write a nice script that would be a whole lot more
robust, but the quick and dirty way would be to run this from the
directory where all of your images are located in an xterm, or in a
Terminal.app window:

% file * | grep -i tif

This would identify your tiff files, and then you can move them off to
another directory, or what ever you need to do.

Jerry