I read all sorts of terrible things about the M-Audio drivers prior to acquiring the PCI card. Just thought I'd mention a finding.

Rule #1 seems to be: Never, ever, never access the M-Audio preference pane through the icon in the dock. At least not if you already have this pane open through System Preferences, and maybe not under any circumstances. I discovered this accidentally. Once I'd installed and updated the drivers, I saw the M-Audio thing in System Preferences, and figured, OK, that's how I get to it. I didn't put an M-Audio alias in the Dock. For the longest time I didn't notice it there when the preference pane was open, and then I saw it but didn't know what it was and ignored it. The other day I finally realized, oh, that's an M- Audio icon down there. So I clicked on it. Instant kernel panic. So I shut down, powered up again, logged in, and opened the M-Audio prefs the old way. No problems.

The M-Audio interface certainly has its quirks. Some settings are saved, and some you seemingly need to reinstate each and every time you open the prefs pane. Lately it's been problematic setting up and saving speaker sets, and impossible to delete old ones. Fortunately, a good working setting that I'd set up early seems to be intact, so the aforementioned amounts to a very minor problem. Overall, my experience with the sound card has been good. Tremendous sound quality, both out and in, head and shoulders above the already fine Apple-installed SoundBlaster and Apple Screamer cards I'd worked with before. Works great with (not to mention made possible) my newly expanded speaker system, 2 Altec Lansing speakers with subwoofer plus 2 more with integrated subwoofers (all powered).

Anyway, on the off chance that the oddity I mentioned in the second paragraph is the reason your Revolution 7.1 is sitting in a drawer right now, I mention it. The kernel panic I mentioned is the one and only instance of a SYSTEM problem caused by the card/drivers in at least 6 weeks of frequent and intense use (in Leopard - drivers also installed in Tiger although I haven't worked with the M-Audio there). This despite the fact that the "fine print" of the driver install process mentions "does not support CPU upgrades" - and I started out using it with a Sonnet 1.0 GHz CPU upgrade and have since installed a 1.6 GHz CPU.

Sean Carroll
slcarr...@me.com

Power Mac G4 AGP "Sawtooth" 1.6 GHz, 2 GB RAM, SATA 750 GB hard drive, Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8 and Tiger 10.4.11, Gigabit Ethernet & M-Audio Revolution 7.1 PCI cards, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB AGP