On Jun 22, 2011, at 4:28 PM, Dan A wrote:

Hi all,
I need some help to clarify the best procedure to use to restore the contents of an internal drive to a new place.

My old G4 15” 800 MHz Ti-Book, using 10.4.11, developed bouts of severe screen disruption with lines, which I think might be due to the cable going trom computer to screen, being pinched or perhaps it’s the video card. Seems like a cable, because a visiting daughter tilted the screen while using it and things went bad from there... but I’m not looking to fix it... instead, I want to restore the entire backed up contents to a “new” 15” 1.64 GHz PB which will have a clean install of 10.4 in it from the seller, which I’ll upgrade to 10.5 after the restoration.

Here is the situation that I’m working with:
I have been doing daily backups of the 800MHz using SuperDuper to an external 1TB firewire drive. Even though SuperDuper has been finishing each backup making the TB drive bootable, it actually isn’t. I have to use another way to get SuperDuper to restore the backed-up data to the 1.67 book. I cannot find, at this time, the SuperDuper disk to install into the 1.67. But I do have SuperDuper on a working 17” 1.33 MHz G4 PB which also happens to be connected to the same 1 TB firewire drive. Can I just add/connect the new 15 PB directly to the same I TB drive via a FW cable, theres an open port on the TB drive, and ask Super Duper on the 17 to restore the back-up on TB to the new 15?

Sorry for all the words, whew. Thanks for any specific info or a better way that you can outline for me. I’d like to get this right the first time. It’s been a nightmare trying to regain some of the functionality that I had going on the Ti-Book.

You're going about this all wrong. First, the reason the 1TB external HD isn't bootable is because you've probably not got the correct partition format on the HD. PPC Macs using 10.4 Tiger require "Apple Partition Format". Intel Macs use "GUID Partition Format", and your external HD would have came OEM as "Master Boot Record Partition Format". The file system is independent of the partition format, so even if you repartitioned to "HFS+" file system, if the partition format is wrong you can't boot on a PPC Mac. Leopard 10.5 can boot BOTH Apple Partition format and GUID on PPC Macs, but Intel Macs only boot GUID.

The "best" way to accomplish your goal is to forget about Tiger 10.4 on the new 1.67 and instead do a clean install of Leopard 10.5, then during the installation process use the Migration Assistant to move everything over from the old TiBook. The way you do this is to select the option "Transfer my information from another Mac" and then boot the TiBook into Firewire Target Disk mode by holding the "T" key at startup and connect it to the new 1.67 with a Firewire cable and let the Migration Assistant transfer everything. You could also possibly transfer from the external 1TB drive if you wanted, but why use a copy when the original is available?