On Jul 18, 2011, at 2:08 PM, James Morgan wrote:

My G5 just shuts down and restarts itself. And often freezes up. Does this sound like a faulty power supply to you folks?

When my G5's power supply died, it was dead, no more restarts. You can smell a bad power supply, it smells like burnt electronics. You can get a pinout diagram and test the power with a multimeter set on voltage. It's bad if any line that should have voltage doesn't. The pinout is here if you want to test:
<http://www.applefritter.com/node/6561>

G5s are known to have issues with intermittent shutdowns and restarts. You might look at this for some ideas:
<http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/Dual_Core_G5_Shutdowns.html>

Resetting the SMU might be a good idea:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1436>