>>I am not familiar with it.  Did they use those funny screws with the
> star or hex pattern and little nipple in the center?<
>
> Yes. It looks like that. Almost a mini-Torx, but smaller and
> shallower.
>
>>If so, you can buy the bits at a specialty fastener store and probably
>> on-line if you
> can figure out what it is called.<
>
> That's really what I need to know.

Amazon.com carries a set of 1/4" hex shank drivers which includes all
specialized head forms, certainly including "tamper proof Torx" and many
other so-called "tamper proof" designs, of which there are many.

To work on many Macs, you really need T6 through T10, anyway, and a
"tamper proof" driver also works as a conventional driver.

Here's a tidbit I'll bet most folks are unaware of: Japanese "Phillips"
fasteners are not true Phillips, they are JIC-standard "cuciform",
although they are pretty close to a true Phillips. If the fastener has
been tightened quite tightly, a standard Phillips driver will "cam out"
and damage the head of the fastener.

You can tell which heads are "cruciform" by the single dot on the head. If
there is no dot, then it is a true Philips.

The early Macs used lots of Japanese fasteners, as the Mac was (and still
is) an all-metric product (with the exception of the 6-32 UNC fasteners
which retain the hard drives).

Still, Apple insisted on using a special custom-made 6-32 UNC fastener,
one which had a very thin head.