.

> I've had similar issues before, with both software and hardware
> causes. Hardware is always someone tried to insert a FW400 plug upside-
> down, and since FW400 carries power it shorts out the port permanently
> and it's dead forever.

Hi Kris:

Agreed, but I've still got power to my FW400's - just not data.  I
could understand if a fuse blows when a plug is mal-inserted  - and I
thought these fuses are designed to reset (?) - or does the short
FUBAR the (FW chip?) so it will not send and receive data?

> The software issue is stranger, and I'm not sure of the cause? If you
> boot in verbose, the Firewire bus is initialized as one of the very
> first items. It needs to say "S400" for speed rather than "S100".

 from the console log (since there isn't that much time to focus on
and read the verbose boot!) I see the following message appearing
twice

"kernel FireWire (OHCI) TI ID8025 PCI now active, GUID
000f2e0100001ee8;max speed s800"

which I presume is once for the internal FW800, and then again for the
PCI card

I've just plugged my FireWave in, firstly to the onboard FW800 socket,
and then to the PCI card, and it shows up in system profiler both
times, and I've just plugged my FireWire speakers in to that and they
work nicely..

 If
> is says "S100" it won't recognize any FW400 devices. I believe a Safe
> Boot by holding the Shift key might rebuild System cache files that
> could possibly be responsible for this issue?

I have tried safe boot and that hasn't resolved it.

 Otherwise you might try
> reinstalling the latest Combo Update and see if that fixes it?

I shall go to the Apple site and download it.   BTW is it me or has
the Apple site s  l  o  w  e  d    d    o        w          n since
it's been supplying Lion online?  When I was going through the update
process on this machine, a file of a mere 80MB was coming down at what
felt like dial-up speed, It's now telling me 29 minutes for 759MB.

BTW aoplogies for the previous triple post -  it was Google wot done
it, I only sent it once!