> Below the optical drive there's room (and, I think, cables) for a second
> unit; in my G4, they are used for the Zip drive, so I couldn't add an HD
> there.

The Zip drive bays may, in general, be used to house hard drives.

In some cases, particularly with pre-QSes, it may be necessary to apply
insulating tape to the interior of the bay. For this purpose I generally
use Scotch (3M) filament strapping (packing) tape.

Also, on QSes, it may be necessary to drill the bay for HD mounting screws.

Remember:

1) the Zip bay was designed with Zip drives in mind, NOT HDs, and

2) although the external size of an HD is the same as a Zip, the two do
not have the same mounting hardware nor the same hardware spacing (M3-0.5
for Zips, #6-32 UNC for HDs).