On Oct 10, 2011, at 4:47 AM, jbeque...@tconl.com wrote:

OK, had a system crash, archived and installed back to Sys 10.5.8 with
Apple mail 3.6 and now cannot communicate with my to year old server mail system. Have called the provider with 2 different answers. I understand
(I hope) that each change in the server list requires a restart, but
cannot get through.  I can log onto web email for the account.  My
question:  do I need to delete preferences for a clean start?  will it
help? Secondly, is there a way to get my mail from the old System folder?

OS 10.5.8, dual 1.8 g5, 4 gigs ram, lots of hard drive

I think you made your own problems by possibly jumping the gun for the full reinstall. Normally the process for a non-booting System would be:

1) try a Safe Boot by holding Shift key at startup.
2) Boot alternate disk, partition, or disc and run Disk Utility>Repair Disk. 3) reinstall the latest Combo Update, in this case the 10.5.8 Combo Update.

Only as a last resort should you reinstall the whole System software. Now that you've gone this route, you'll probably have to mess around with this for a long time. I've always avoided the Archive & Reinstall method, and rather opted for a clean reinstall on an alternate HD and then transfer all the accounts and data with Migration Assistant.

You'll probably have to manually find your old mail files, and old mail preferences now, a real hassle. I wish I could help, and I have done this before, but I can't remember what I did (other than transfer files & folders from the archived system into the new system). You've got a lot of work to do now.