Except that Apple doesn't like GPLv3, so the gcc you get in Xcode will
forever be a fork of 4.2.1.

So far I've managed to build the gcc 3.4.6 using the version of gcc 3.3
included with Xcode 1.5. Going straight to 4.6.1 was never going to work. I
then used that version of gcc to build the GNU core-utilities. 4.6.1 still
doesn't want to build, so I might give the GNU version of 4.2.1 a go. Apple
may not support 10.3.9, but GNU still supports Darwin-ppc, so I hope that
with a few intermediate steps I should be able to update the UNIX tools to a
fully up-to-date set.