Il giorno 25-10-2011 22:29, John Callahan ha scritto:

> Anyone care to make recommendations for an external hard drive? 500GB
> to 700GB's, is cost any indication of quality?
I recently got a "G Drive mobile" 750GB, 2,5" (from G-Technology, Hitachi).
It has USB 2.0 and Firewire 800 ports (it comes with USB, FW 800 and FW 400
cables).

I'm quite satisfied with it, fast, silent. During a long backup (over one
hour), it became really hot, though.

I had a Westernal Digital 250GB, 2,5", just USB.
But I had some issues with it (on some computer it didn't get enough power
from the USB port, so it didn't work without a powered USB hub).
USB is quite slower than Firewire, too.

Although 2,5" drives are handy (small, no need for external power supply),
if you don't plan to move the drive around, I think you'd better go for a
3,5" drive: the external power supply makes it more reliable, and the cost x
GB should be slower.

PS: If you don't know it yet, I recommend Carbon Copy CLoner for backup:
http://www.bombich.com

In the CCC Forum section, there's a thread in the public discussions on the
subject of "What hard drive enclosures have you had success or failure
with?" that is worth a read:
<http://help.bombich.com/discussions/problems/140-what-hard-drive-enclosure-
have-you-had-successfailure-with>