At 4:29 PM -0400 10/25/2011, John Callahan wrote:
Anyone care to make recommendations for an external hard drive? 500GB to 700GB's, is cost any indication of quality? Need only for back up, speed is not a factor, nor is Firewire important. Something in the $100.00 range.

hum. A "good" drive? No, drives are evil, all evil. Personally, I'm partial to big Seagates or Hitachi's. Recently I've preferrred to buy bare drives and stick 'em in boxes. If you must buy one in a box, I'm fond of LaCie's offerings. They're a bit expensive, but the boxes are very high quality.

Avoid Western Digital externals -- some have issues when it comes to booting on Macs (see the various tech support articles and threads on CCC's web site).

And avoid installing any craplets that come with the drive. Unless it's a RAID solution, such as a (cool) Drobo, a real drive requires no additional software - you already have Disk Utility and Finder and CCC. The craplets are stupid things that watch the drive's "status" in some way ... and are often quite unreliable - incompatible with OS updates, crashy, etc.

Carpe HD!